When it was completed in 1967, Grafton Hall was the college’s tallest building at seven stories. Several structures had to be torn down or relocated for the building of Grafton Hall. One of these was the Stephen Webster House, the oldest structure in Plymouth, built in 1765. Grafton Hall and its twin hall, Smith Hall, were designed by architect Nicholas Isaak of Manchester, New Hampshire.
To commemorate the Alumni Association’s contribution to the building of the hall, a bronze marker was placed on the residence hall. The bronze marker, which has gone missing, read:
A PORTION OF THE LAND
UPON WHICH THIS BUILDING,
GRAFTON HALL, IS CONSTRUCTED
WAS DONATED BY
THE ALUMNI ASSOCIATION OF
PLYMOUTH STATE COLLEGE
Grafton Hall shares its name with the county in which Plymouth is located, which was named for Augustus Henry Fitzroy, 3rd Duke of Grafton (1735-1811.) Grafton was a member of British Parliament, serving as prime minister from 1768-1770. He favored repeal of the Tea Act which ultimately incited the Boston Tea Party and resigned his post because he supported conciliatory action towards the American colonies.