After completing this page, you should be able to:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Last, F. M. (Year, Month, Date Published). Article title. Newspaper Title. Retrieved from: http://URL
Researchers include brief parenthetical citations in their writing to acknowledge references to other people’s work. Generally, APA parenthetical citations include the last name of the author and year of publication. Page numbers are also included when citing a direct quote.
If some of this information is included in the body of the sentence, exclude it from the parenthetical citation. In-text citations typically appear at the end of the sentence, between the last word and the period (EasyBib, 2016).
EasyBib, (2016) How to cite parenthetical citations in APA. Retrieved from: http://www.easybib.com/guides/citation-guides/apa-format/how-to-cite-a-parenthetical-citations-apa/
Eisen, A. (2014, June 13). Research 101: Format matters [Video file]. Retrieved from https://youtu.be/xKQSQgdUAu4
Some information sources are much better than others, but it depends on what information you need...
Drag and drop these elements of a bibliographic citation to their appropriate category below.Borden, T.G. (2002). Air security and terrorist threats. In S. G. Benson, N. Matuszak, & M.A. O'Meara (Eds.), History behind the headlines (Vol. 5, pp. 1-12). Detroit: Gale.
To get to the Library Criminal Justice Subject Guide, Select "Criminal Justice" from the drop-down menu under Guided Search from the library home page.
All of the resources covered this semester will be found on this course guide. You'll be using these resources in all of your Criminal Justice classes.
Information in any format is produced to convey a message and is shared via a selected delivery method. The iterative processes of researching, creating, revising, and disseminating information vary, and the resulting product reflects these differences.
The information creation process could result in a range of information formats and modes of delivery, so experts look beyond format when selecting resources to use. The unique capabilities and constraints of each creation process as well as the specific information need determine how the product is used. Experts recognize that information creations are valued differently in different contexts, such as academia or the workplace. Elements that affect or reflect on the creation, such as a pre- or post-publication editing or reviewing process, may be indicators of quality.
Association of College and Research Libraries. (2016, January 11). Framework for information literacy for higher education. Retrieved http://www.ala.org/acrl/sites/ala.org.acrl/files/content/issues/infolit/Framework_ILHE.pdf
Here is a sample bibliography containing citations to a book, a section of a book, a magazine, a journal article, a newspaper article, and a website.
Can you tell which is which?
1. Borden, T. G. (2002). Air security and terrorist threats. In S. G. Benson, N. Matuszak, & M. A. O'Meara (Eds.), History behind the headlines (Vol. 5, pp. 1-12). Detroit: Gale.
2. Davis, J. P., Gibson, S., & Solomon, C. (2014). The positive influence of creating a holistic facial composite on video line-up identification. Applied Cognitive Psychology, 28(5), 634-639. doi:10.1002/acp.3045
3. Garcia, C. (1989, April 3). Putting the finger on security: Biometrics could make keys and combination locks obsolete. Time, 133, 79.
4. Modi, S. K. (2011). Biometrics in identity management: Concepts to applications. Boston: Artech House.
5. National Science and Technology Council. (2006, August 7). Vascular pattern recognition. Retrieved from http://www.biometrics.gov/Documents/VascularPatternRec.pdf
6. Williams, T. (2015, August 12). Facial recognition software moves from overseas wars to local police. The New York Times, Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/13/us/facial-recognition-software-moves-from-overseas-wars-to-local-police.html?partner=bloomberg&_r=1
Try to answer these questions with your group. The important thing here is not just getting the correct answer, it's knowing why you have the correct answer. Review these until you're sure you understand them.