Should everyone get a trophy?
- Brummelman, E., Thomaes, S., Orobio de Castro, B., Overbeek, G., & Bushman, B. (2014). "That's not just beautiful - that's incredibly beautiful!": the adverse impact of inflated praise on children with low self esteem. Psychological Science, 25(3), 728-735.
- Search Terms: awards, trophies, medals, self esteem, equality, recognition, praise, achievement, accomplishment, extrinsic motivation, rewards, intrinsic motivation, students, children, adolescents, child psychology, work place, motivation
Are entertainers and athletes expected to be role models?
- Read, B. (2011). Brittney, Beyonce, and me - primary school girls' role models and constructions of the 'popular girl'. Gender & Education, 23(1), 1-13.
- Search Terms: athletes, celebrities, role models, conduct of life, popular culture, influence
Are we too plugged in?
- Laura, R., & Chapman, A. (2009). The technologization of education: philosophical reflections on being too plugged in. International Journal of Children's Spirituality, 14(3), 289-298.
- Search Terms: technology, internet, social media, screen time, information technology, social aspects, psychological aspects, mobile devices, Facebook, unplug, privacy, physical activity, online gaming, sedentary lifestyle, tablet computers
Can computers replace teachers/workers?
- Mlot, S. (2014). Will a Robot Revolution Lead to Mass Unemployment. PC Magazine, 20-22.
- Search Terms: technological unemployment, automation, computers, robots, workers, employment, jobs, artificial intelligence, manufacturing, labor supply
Should we tell kids about Santa?
- Gill, J., & Papatheodorou, T. (1999). Perpetuating the Father Christmas story: a justifiable lie? International Journal of Children's Spirituality, 4(2), 195-205.
- Search Terms: Santa Claus, childhood, deception, lies, ethics, parents, parenting, harm
Is freedom superior to non-freedom?
- Braun, C. (2010). On Liberty's Liberty. Independent Review, 14(4), 599-612.
- Search Terms: freedom, liberty, free will, philosophy, politics, social theories, civil liberties, equal rights, John Stuart Mill, government intervention
What is the value of work?
- Kinjerski, V., & Skrypnek, B. J. (2008). Four paths to spirit at work: journeys of personal meaning, fulfillment, well-being, and transcendence through work. Career Development Quarterly, 56(4), 319-329.
- Search Terms: work, labor, work ethic, employment, jobs, manual labor, discipline, self esteem, personal development, job satisfaction, purpose, meaning, value, work centrality, fulfillment, self realization
What is the difference between natural and artificial intelligence? Which is better?
- Christian, B. (2011). Mind vs. machine. Atlantic, 307(2), 58-69.
- Search Terms: intelligence, artificial intelligence, computers, understanding, learning, memory, planning, abstract thought, creativity, problem solving, computation, consciousness, reasoning, knowledge, perception, Turing test
Do we have too much stuff?
- Nicolao, L., Irwin, J., & Goodman, J. (2009). Happiness for sale: do experiental purchases make consumers happier than material purchases? Journal of Consumer Research, 36(2), 188-198.
- Search Terms: personal property, waste, consumerism, consumption, consumers, voluntary simplicity, Story of Stuff (book), happiness, well being
Can video games be good for you?
- Granic, I., Lobel, A., & Engels, R. (2014). The benefits of playing video games. American Psychologist, 69(1), 66-78.
- Search Terms: video games, education, learning, exercise, social aspects, virtual reality, creativity, rehabilitation
Can listening to a certain kind of music affect someone's personality?
- Clark, S., & Giacomantonio, S. (2013). Music preferences and empathy: toward predicting prosocial behavior. Psychomusicology: Music, Mind & Brain, 23(3), 177-186.
- Search Terms: music, personality, genre, psychology, emotions, music psychology, socialability, altruism, attitude, rap music, rock music, classical music, lifestyle
Can you be in pain and pleasure at the same time?
- Bastian, B., Jetten, J., Hornsey, M., & Leknes, S. (2014). The positive consequences of pain: a biopsychosocial approach. Personality & Social Psychology Review, 18(3), 256-279.
- Search Terms: pain, experience, pleasure, brain, senses, neurology, neurobiology, hedonism, philosophy, psychological aspects
Should we censor books and music?
- Byrne, A. (2004). The end of history: censorship and libraries. Australian Library Journal, 53(2), 133-151.
- Search Terms: censorship, freedom of speach, self censorship, hate speech, pornography, national security, obscenity, banned books, moral values, freedom of the press, media regulation
Can money buy happiness?